S.O. 980(E) - Whereas the Central Government is of the opinion that all measures as it may deem necessary or expedient for the purpose of protecting and improving quality of environment should be taken;
Now, therefore, in exercise of the powers conferred by clause (viii) of sub-section (2) of section 3 read with section 25 of the Environment (Protection) Act ,1986 (29 of 1986 ), the following draft rules are hereby published for the information of all persons likely to be affected thereby, and notice is hereby given that the said draft rules will be taken into consideration after the expiry of a period of sixty days from the date on which the gazette copies of the rules are made available to the public;
Any objection or suggestion which may be received from any person in respect of the said draft rules before the expiry of the period specified above, will be taken into consideration by the Central Government;
The objections or suggestions may be addressed to the Secretary, Ministry of Environment & Forests, Paryavaran Bhavan, CGO Complex, Lodhi Road, New Delhi - 110 003.
1. Short Title - These rules may be called Recycled Plastics Usage Rules, 1998.
2. Prohibition of usage of carry bags made of recycled plastics - No person shall use, carry bags or containers made of re-cycled plastics for storing, carrying and packing the food stuffs.
3. Conditions of usage of carry bags etc. - Subject to the provisions of rule 2, any person may use carry bags or containers made of recycled plastic if the following conditions are satisfied, namely :-
4. The minimum thickness of carry bags made of virgin plastic shall not be less than 20 microns.
5. Prescribed authority - The Government of every State and Union Territory shall notify a prescribed authority with such members as may be specified within one month from the date of coming into force of the final rule, for implementing these rules.
(The Gazette of India: Extraordinary, Part II, Section 3, Sub-section (ii), No.746, published in New Delhi on Friday, November 20, 1998.)